Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2012 NHL Playoffs - 1st Round - Otto

Nothing big this year just my pick and ill do the standings after each round. Send your picks to me on Facebook or in an email.

Eastern Conference
#1 NY Rangers vs #8 Ottawa

I've heard a lot about a high scoring Ottawa team, however I do believe that the Rangers have the potential to match that firepower as well as grinding out games as they have throughout the year. Enough scoring for the Rangers and a heavy dose of  the King, I see the Rangers in 5.

#2 Boston vs #7 Washington

This is my most intriguing match-up in the East. Washington has had no consistency this year but have looked great at times. If they hit one of those stretches then I think they can take on anyone. Goaltending will again be an issue this year for them. Boston has not gotten the benefit of co-starting goalies this year but Thomas is the reigning MVP for a reason. I think this one goes 7, and Ovie finally shakes his label of not being clutch when needed. Caps in 7.

#3 Florida vs #6 NJ Devils

This young Florida team is making a first appearance for many of this members. They slumped into the playoffs and I don't think this will change. On the other side, many of the Devils players have been there before. Although he will not be the cornerstone of this series I believe that this year will mark a final march for Marty. Ill take the Devils in 5.

#4 Pittsburgh vs #5 Philadelphia

This takes spot 1A for interest level. An in state rivalry against two top tier teams. It will be interesting to see if the injury of Bryz's foot still lingers and if he can finally prove that he belongs to be a top level goalie. Pittsburgh has the top level goalie and one of the best scorers in the league in Malkin. It will be interesting to see if Crosby can stay healthy in the grind of a playoff game. I think Malkin's offense and more consistent goaltending lead the pens in the one. Pens in 6.

Western Conference
#1 Vancouver vs #8 Los Angeles

The question remains year after year, can Lou play in the playoffs so do we see another melt down leading to him being pulled and missing the next game? The Canucks will be ok this series if they get the Sediens back together, if not it will be a little closer than it should be. I think Vancouver continues what lead them to the top spot in the league, even despite Lou. Canucks in 6

#2 St. Louis vs #7 San Jose

I struggle to make an open minded pick on this one. In my head St. Louis is still what they had been for years prior, it has not caught on in my head yet that they are the second best team in the west. I have always enjoyed watching San Jose play for years, despite their lack of playoff success. I'm picking St Louis in 7 based heavily on their home record during the regular season, 6 regulation losses is hard to argue with. 

#3 Phoenix vs # 6 Chicago

Phoenix finished the season on a tear, 7-1-2 giving them the Pacific title and thus the #3 spot overall. With the points alone Phoenix would have been seeded 6 in the west. Chicago finished strong this season as well, giving them 101 points, 4 more than their opponent this round. I think that Phoenix as a hockey town lacks what Chicago will bring and Chicago can steal one on the road. The Blackhawks in 7 for me. 

#4 Nashville vs #5 Detroit 

How do you pick against the Red Wings? They have so much experience and tradition. Nashville lacks the tradition but has a few years of experience going for them. I think that home ice is going to help Nashville now that they have built up more support the last couple year. I think that Nashville does something special this year and knocks off Detroit in the first round. Nashville in 6.

1 comment:

  1. East:
    Rangers in 5
    Bruins in 6
    Devils in 5
    Penguins in 7

    West:
    Canucks in 5
    Blues in 4
    Blackhawks in 6
    Red Wings in 7

    ReplyDelete